Giving a Broken Record the Bird & Fair Isle Knitting
There are some days when there’s a lot of noise in my mind where all worries and negativity seem to be looping like an old record. Today’s songs are: 1) ‘Mimi’s transplant day is in two weeks’ by Pandora’s Box, 2) ‘Goodbye Security, Hello, Start-Up‘ by Fayvor and the Gang, and lastly, 3) ‘Dating a 2x Divorcee with a 10 year-old’, by Bad Idea Jeans goes Wild.
Marty cat doesn’t seem to know what to make of all the hugs but tolerates them nonetheless. And I, for now, am going to go back to either practicing tension with this experimental fair isle vest or plugging my ears with my fingers and reciting anything, maybe even ‘puppies’, over and over again, just to get all those songs about other people out of my head.
To you, the latest Pan Roasted Chicken Recipe, and to the dratted songs in my head, The other Bird.
Sumac Chicken with Roasted Vegetables & Turnip Greens (serves 2)
- Two Chicken Skin on Thigh Pieces, at room temperature
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Sumac
- Salt to taste
- 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
- Your Choice Root Vegetable (I had baby Carrots, Turnip & Parsnip)
- Greens – I had turnip greens but something like spinach will do too
- Mix the Sumac with half the amount in salt
- Sprinkle this mixture on both sides of your chicken pieces. Let that sit while you get your other ingredients ready.
- Peel and clean the vegetables. I left mine whole since they were baby-sized.
- Clean your Greens and have that ready on the side with your garlic
- Sear your chicken using butter on both sides until golden and the pan releases the bird.
- Par cook your root vegetables in boiling water until 1/2 done. shock them in ice water. Pat them dry.
- Continue cooking the bird in a 350 degree oven ~15-20 minutes until internal reads ~153-5
- Toss the root vegetables in oil or butter and also put in the oven to finish off.
- When your vegetables and Chicken have been pulled out to rest for ~5-8 minutes, while they are resting make your greens by sateeing them in either oil or butter with the minced garlic.