Stitches West, Lemon Grass Chicken & Coconut Poached Carrots
Stitches West was overwhelmingly Fantastic. The ‘Market’ spanned the ENTIRE Santa Clara Convention Center floor with hundreds of back to back vendor booths. It took over an hour just to quickly walk through the entire place and notate which vendors to return to. I’m wishing now that I kept the map that I had marked up with the vendors that I liked. From memory,the vendors listed below caught my eye.
Ran into Allison over at Imagiknit‘s booth and Kathy (of Princess Animal) while walking around. I was happy to see them–they’re both incredibly helpful and super pleasant to be around. Ended up purchasing 8 Skeins in two different colors from Creatively Dyed Yarn. Alas, the skeins were bundled incorrectly and with so many loops un-caught, I’m worried that I’ll have to send back some of the skeins (I’ve gotten so attached to the colors) Next year I just may be a little less intimidated to take a few classes and will definitely allow for more time to leisurely take-in the market.
Caught my Eye:
- Imagiknit with their amazing selection of Tosh and Malabrigo for the cost
- A Verb for Keeping Warm and their woodland themed booth which I adored
- Toots LeBlanc had such luxurious yarn in ‘the sheep’s colors’ which I wish I could afford and just may start saving for.
- Jordana Paige’s Patterns. So YOUNG and an amazing designer for Modern Knits. (I wanted to like her but meeting her turned me off to buying her patterns…maybe a bad day?)
- Brooks Farm Yarn too had amazing colors like Creatively Dyed. I almost bought a few skeins from them but was more drawn to two particular color blended skeins at Creatively Dyed.
- Tess Yarns Beautifully arranged. The whole storefront in gradations of different colors and hues.
- Temari Kimono Sweater for K – Adoring the circles that are beginning to Appear
- Klingon Glove (erhm.. Tributary Gloves)- Still working on the match to finish the pair
- Equinox Raglan – Started w/ Purchase from Stitches West
On the Food-Front, I’ll keep it brief–Days have been super sunny lately though chilly and my meals are just as confused. So super ‘sunny’ comforting foods it is.
Lemon Grass Chicken with Coconut Poached Carrots (serves 4-6)
- 1 Whole Chicken cut into 8 parts (there’s a special term for this that I’m forgetting fricassee? not sure)
- 1/4 C. Sesame Oil (or a neutral oil–I went dramatic using sesame b/c I wanted the Asian Flavor)
- 3-4 Tbs. Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs. Grated Ginger
- 3 Shallots thinly sliced
- 1-2 stalks of lemon grass pounded and sliced
- 2 Serrano Chiles small diced (your call on ‘w/ seeds’ or ‘w/out’ for spiciness alternations)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Once your Chicken is cut up, score the skin and put all the ingredients into your choice of vessel (ziplock bag, tupperware etc) to marinate overnight
- Remove the chicken from the marinade careful to brush off all the bits.
- Cook as you’d like: grill it or maybe pan sear and finish in the oven
Coconut Poached Carrots (adapted from Leng’s ‘Earthly Delights‘)
- 1/2 tbs of Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp of ground cardamom (I used Green Cardamom)
- 1 tsp of grated orange rind
- 1 bunch of spring onions, sliced
- 1-1.5 lbs of carrots, peeled and sliced into ~1/2″ slices (I like my cuts on an angle)
- 1 250ml Can of Coconut Milk (Solids at the top and all)
- Heat the oil in your high-walled pan
- Add in the Cardamom and mix it around releasing the flavor
- Then add in the spring onion, orange rind, & carrots.
- Saute those guys around for ~2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add in your coconut milk including the coconut fat at the top of the can. Bring that up to temperature and simmer everything covered until cooked through (~10 minutes or so depending on how big you cut your carrots)
- Season to taste.